Friday, November 10, 2006

First Entry

I thought I'd set up a blog so we can post thoughts or annual letters or seasonal greetings or gripes or things we should discuss as a family, or whatever, and then anyone (of us -- as administrator, I can pick who can see or write to the blog, so let me know if we should add or whatever) can post comments at any time. I also thought I might set one up for cousins and such, as kind of a concentric circle.

As an introductory subject, I thought I would maybe talk about the recent elections or recent events in family life.............

It is so good to get Dad back to New York state. I had worried about him but hadn't found ways to break through so I could feel that I was helping him. I felt uncertain about talking on the phone because someone might pick up the other receiver, and didn't know if letters would get read, so I just tried calling and talking with him when it seemed like a good time. That was not often enough.

I knew he was being expected (by himself if not by others) to do more than was reasonable for him, and that he was very insulated and isolated there on Swamp Fox Drive. I was just glad that he got things worked out in his mind and with Ethel's family so that he could come home.

I hate that we didn't get things cleared up so he could have the house (33 S. Main) really to himself, but plan to get our papers and other things cleared up by the time he gets back to Alfred from Bert's. Part of the problem is that, although we got a lot of work done at our house, we still don't have places for lots of things, so things tend to stay scattered, including some of them being at 33.

I also hope that he and Bert are having lots of good time together, and that it's not too much for Bert. I know that they, being newly single, probably have things in common to talk about. But I may be making too much of that. Anyway, I hope that my perspective -- which is that Dad and Bert have always had a unique understanding of each other -- is correct and that my arranging for Dad to go out for a month is regarded as a good idea by the two of them.

I look forward to seeing everyone at Thanksgiving time. We took some of our organic chickens when I took Dad to Bert's, so they're in Bert's freezer. I know others have talked about food of various sorts and Sherm talked about a field trip, so those things could be posted here.

Meanwhile, please let me know if you received that letter from Dad's uncle Clarence Clarke to Dad's mother, Agnes, regarding Ford Clarke's recovery from tuberculosis and his compulsion to be involved in so many community activities that Clarence and others were worried that he'd wear himself out. If not, I thought I'd see if I can post it either here or at Facebook, so you can read it. It tells a great deal about why Dad is the way he is, even though he never had a chance to learn such things from his father -- the tendencies had to be inherited, somehow.

More on that later.

Doug

No comments: