Sunday, April 22, 2007

depression and counseling

Doug,
I was a little surprised in your message about Dad visiting the counselor that you said Pat B was feeling uncertain about how to deal with Dad. I thought it was the other way around. As someone who has never had a counselor (Bob used to say HE was the one that suffered for that), I imagine that there needs to be a certain distance. Well, maybe not, there just needs to be walls between the interaction during life and during counseling. Certainly Dad dealt with lots of congregation members over the years where he knew stuff about their feelings and actions that couldn't be shared. It is probably impossible to maintain that distance when you're dealing with anything that approaches mentor/mentee or hero situations. I don't know if Pat considers Dad a mentor or hero.

My head continues to swirl. Nicely. I think I'll go read a bit more of the paper and then really concentrate on my ARLIS stuff and then go up to the National Academy where the "High Times, Hard Times: New York Painting 1967-1975" show is closing today. Then I can slip down to the Met to see the newly reopened Greek and Roman galleries. Somebody said the interactive opening on the web is pretty exciting but I'd rather be in real time and space when it comes to art! http://www.metmuseum.org/Works_of_Art/installation_gr.asp The link must be someplace on or near that page but I don't see it immediately.

Ciao for the moment.
Love to you all and to whatever siblings might be reading this....
Sherman(iac)

P.S. I accidentally signed a message yesterday "Sheman" and one of my coworkers said I must be suffering a case of gender confusion. You knew that!

No comments: